Monday, July 23, 2012

I wish for a pony...failing that, a bottle of glue

My heel hurts. It feels like a needle every time I take a step. Maybe it's sympathy pains for the afore-mentioned ponies. Besides that, Paige and I went to Venezia this weekend! Annnnnndddddd the best part- we didn't have any problems traveling for the first time on our entire adventure! A big pat on the back to us for getting on all the right trains, having the right tickets, not worrying about luggage and all travels being at normal hours of the day! Wahoo! Neither of us knew much about Venice, so we did a lot of walking around, but that was okay because it's succccchhhhhh a pretttayyy city. On Friday, I think we accidentally walked a very long way into a residential area....there was no one anywhere. I was super confused because I had thought there would be people everywhere. However, after getting our bearings (sort of. Venice is the least navigable city I have ever encountered) it was much better. We got drinks (2 for 1 bellini's. Can I get a woo hoo?!) at a place whose ceiling was littered with bras in every shape, color, design, motif mad size imaginable. ON Saturday, we found our way to st Marco's square, which has a really big church and the Doge's palace (an important old family, I believe). I would have liked to go in, but the lines were redonkulous. Instead, we went to the Peggy Guggenheim Collection (museum) and it was great. The museum features all contemporary art and has. A really nice sculpture garden on the outside. Peggy herself is buried there, along with her 16 dogs... Next to the grave is a wishing tree. You write a wish o. A slip of paper and then hang it on one of the branches. While perusing the other wishes, I saw a particularly funny one which inspired the title of this post. The inside of the museum is great as well, with works by Dali, Kandinsky, Picasso and Polluck among others. There was a great outdoor patio that was on the water and had an amazing view. I sat out there for a good 20 minutes just watching the boats go buy and enjoying the scenery. A final not by the museum, it was the perfect size- lots of works but very manageable and not overwhelming, which is always a plus for me. Besides that, we mostly did a ton of walking in Venice and saw a lot of homeless old women. A word about the homeless in Venice because they are unlike any others I've ever seen. First of all, they are nearly all women, and super old women at that. They are all covered head to toe in all black robes/rags/shawls and 99% of them appear to just have collsed where they are and are legitimately just lying on the ground. Also, I never saw one of their faces....they keep them covered/facing the ground/on the ground at all times. It was all very weird and confusing. Well, that's about all from Venice. Today,I went to the ferragamo museum, which was really cool and had a good exhibit about Marilyn Monroe, and Paige and I went on a run along the river. Ooooooooook, peace playas! Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment